Ballito's Beaches: Salt Rock Beach (Main)
Salt Rock main beach is a heaven for sun seekers and surfers, one of Ballito's beaches that is great for playing, albeit surfing, kite-surfing or just some family touch rugby
Salt Rock Beach is one of the few long open sandy beaches in Ballito and well serviced by many B&B's, Campsites and Hotels along the beach. Plenty of parking, lifeguards on duty, convenient. Definitely one of Ballito's beaches worth visiting.
Why we like Salt Rock Beach
- Salt Rock is probably the most "friendly" surfing and bathing beaches in the Ballito area (also just north at Granny's Pool, excellent surf and sand)
- Salt Rock has loads of open sandy beach and not as rocky as other beaches in Ballito, so you can spread out, even if the beach gets busy during holiday season, you can find a quiet spot.
- Salt Rock beach is easy to get to, easy to find parking, convenient ...possibly the easiest of Ballito's beaches to find parking in peak periods
- The tidal pool at Salt Rock beach can have some interesting snorkeling in the right conditions and very different from other spots in Ballito
Getting To Salt Rock Beach
From Ballito, head down Ocean Drive and you can't miss it, from the N2 Highway, head down Salt Rock drive, just past the Salt Rock Hotel
Useful Information on Salt Rock Beach
- Salt Rock main Beach is a hive of activity over the holiday periods and one of the more popular family beaches in Ballito due to it's long open sandy coast. The beaches have shark nets, life guards, food stalls, curio sellers, you name it. A great spot for families to chill and unwind with friends. Slightly further north up the main beach, opposite the Salt Rock Caravan Park is a huge tidal pool, wonderful spot for children to play and occasionally has some interesting snorkeling after spring high tides.
- The surf at Salt Rock beach is very consistent. For surfing, this is one of the more popular Ballito Beaches to head to. The sandbars on the rock bottom are always changing giving a variety of peaks going right and left at low and mid tide. Mornings are normally best. The local are friendly and often a more mature crowd.
- Salt Rock Beach has seen it's fair share of swimming accidents (drowning) please be careful and swim near the lifeguards at all times.